Raise your hand if August got you running around trying to act like you’re still enjoying summer but deep down you’re secretly wishing for a winter day where sweat pants and 5 hours of Netflix are acceptable.
Summer in Alaska has an urgency in the air. Everyone is desperate to soak up every last bit of sunshine, daylight, and social events. Come August, I get this inner conflict between exhaustion from satisfying the desperation and pressing on to enjoy what’s left of the warm weather before termination dust falls.
It’s times like these I need a quick, easy dinner. Fresh veggies, the fewest pans to wash as possible, and summer yum in a half hour so I can get on to
hiking or biking or porch beer drinking. And it’s times like these I often turn to Aidells sausage. They. Are. Amazing. So incredibly versatile and a lifesaver to keep in the fridge. And they’re the star of these Italian Sausage Grinders. Crowd pleasing sandwiches rich from the marinara sauce, fresh from the bell peppers and onions. And super hearty thanks to the Aidells Italian Style Sausages with Mozzarella Cheese. What’s not to love?
And these FRIES. Let me fill you in on something. Steak fries are the best frozen potato choice. You just have to do it right, which is so incredibly easy and worth the 30 seconds it takes to make frozen fries into a legit dinner side. Drizzle some olive oil on a foil lined baking sheet, cook those babies HOT, and toss with parmesan and seasoning. Whaaaaat. “Mom, did you pick up Red Robin?” No I’m just a B.A. No bigs.
30 minutes. Simple ingredients. Happy tummies. Pat yourself on the back and go enjoy what’s left of summer!
- 1 package Aidells Italian Style Sausages
- Olive Oil
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup of your favorite marinara sauce
- 4 sandwich (hoagie) rolls
- 1 bag frozen steak fries
- Olive oil
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Drizzle about one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sausages and brown on all sides until hot. You'll want to use a screen or aluminum foil to prevent splatter, as the sausages cook they really go nuts. But you want to maintain the heat and get them nice and brown. Browned = flavor.
- Meanwhile, line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Arrange fries in a single layer and bake at 450 for 10 minutes. Flip, and bake another 5-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the sausages and set aside. Drizzle another tablespoon of olive oil in the pan and add the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper and sauté over medium to medium-high heat until just tender and fragrant.
- Slice sausages into bite sized pieces and add to the vegetables. Stir in marinara sauce. Allow to simmer on low heat while you finish the fries and hoagies.
- Slice the hoagies (if they aren't already) and scrape out some of the bread in the 'top' side. This will allow more room for the filling and create a perfect bread to meat/veggie ratio.
- Mix parmesan and seasonings in a small bowl. Toss hot fries with this mixture.
- Fill your sandwiches and dig in!